Thursday, April 06, 2006

Quilted bag summary

Lindiepindie asked for pointers on making quilted bags. I have no problem giving an answer... my only caveat is that this was only my second quilted bag and I kind of made up my own methods. I cut my cloth and prepared each side of the bag separately. Then I cut batting and plain muslin to match. I placed the front piece face down on my work surface, smoothed the batting over that, and then put the muslin on top of the batting. I pinned from the middle out... about every 4-6 inches. I was then ready to quilt the piece. I started from the inside to the edges. I sewed the edges to prevent the fabric from unraveling. Repeat with the back face of the bag. Then sew the bag together as usual. I should point out here that the muslin is not the bag liner, it is the backing for the quilting. I didn't do this for the first bag. I quilted it after I put the bag together and I ended up with a skewed bag. Also, if I make another quilted bag, I will problably bind the top edge with binding or make either the outside fabric or the liner extra long to make a hem that can fold over and be sewn over the top of the bag. That way, the seam isn't too bulky and doesn't gap at the top.

1 Comments:

At 4/06/2006 02:05:00 PM, Blogger lindiepindie said...

That is really helpful! The next question I was going to ask was if the quilt backing was the liner. Thanks. I have been thinking about making one and now I'll be prepared. I enjoy quilting, but couldn't wrap my brain around making a quilted bag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home